Friday, March 23, 2012

M.D. Pearce, Druggist



So The Winslow Museum in Winslow, Arkansas (run by my mother) has decided to put on a couple of short plays (and I do mean short) in the spring about one of Winslow's most prominent citizens in its history: Maud Dunlap (Pearce) Duncan. The plays will be centered around Maud's becoming the third woman in Arkansas history to pass the Pharmacy exam in 1906, and with Maud becoming one of the first female mayors in the United States and the head of the second all-female municipal government in the country, aptly named "The Petticoat Government", whom ran Winslow from 1925 through 1927. Since I'm a burgeoning writer trying to get as much on my rather thin (nonexistent, really) resume, and I'm also not above trying to play off my mother's nepotism, I've been commissioned to write said plays.



This is the final draft of "M.D. Pearce, Druggist". I know there is plenty of exposition that I can cut from this, but since I have a hand in how it goes up onto the stage (kind of co-director), and I'm lazy, I'm just leaving it as it is. If you think something in the play can be improved, please feel free to tell me in the comments. If you think it sucks, well, tell me that too.

Maud takes the Arkansas Pharmacy Exam, but not before airing her fear out to her father, Dr Albert Dunlap.


DR DUNLAP'S OFFICE


MAUD Dunlap Pearce works in Dr. Albert Dunlap's (FATHER) office, preparing for another day assisting him.

NARRATOR
Maud Dunlap was born in 1873, and by the time she was five years old, she had lost her mother. When she went to live with her uncle, Dr. Albert Dunlap and his wife Virginia, the stage would be set for this young girl to have a lifetime of opportunities. Although Maud experienced much tragedy and sadness in her life, she always managed to overcome her circumstances and make many wonderful accomplishments. She was a school teacher by sixteen years of age. She married, had two little girls, who both died as children, and her husband went off to work and never returned. Afterward, she spent much of her time helping her foster father, Dr. Dunlap, mix medicines for his patients. Through these opportunities and much encouragement from Dr. Dunlap, we find Maud preparing for yet another of her many accomplishments.

FATHER walks into the office and immediately notices MAUD'S tired, weary look. She seems nervous.

FATHER
Maud, dear?
(MAUD turns to him)
Is there something the matter?

MAUD hesitates and takes a deep, calming breath.

MAUD
I'm worried about the examination.

FATHER smiles and shakes his head lightly.

FATHER
I don't know why you would be. You are quite adept at mixing medicines. This exam should be rather simple for you.

MAUD moves back to preparing the office, still conversing.

MAUD
Be that as it may, Father, only two other women have ever passed the Pharmacy Exam in the entire state.
(becoming frantic)
It is not easy. And what if my nerves get the best of me?

FATHER grabs a chair for MAUD to sit.

FATHER
Take a seat, dear. Calm your nerves.

MAUD sits down, breathing heavily.

FATHER
Maud, there is something you need to realize about yourself.

MAUD looks at him tentatively.

MAUD
And what is that?

FATHER
You are capable of doing anything that you want. I have watched you grow up into not only one of the strongest women, but one of the strongest people I have ever gotten the privilege of knowing.

FATHER pulls a chair up next to MAUD'S and puts his arm around her, pulling her in.

FATHER
You have been through more in your 33 years than most would go through in five lifetimes. But you keep moving forward.

FATHER takes a deep breath.

FATHER
I don't have many years left...

MAUD
(turning, forceful)
Don't talk like that.

FATHER
It's true. I'm an old man. But I will get to die knowing that I helped raise a spectacular woman. Maud, I want you know that I will forever be proud of you.

MAUD
Thank you, Father.

FATHER moves to stand up, pulling MAUD with him.

FATHER
So... are you ready to get to work?

MAUD nods.

FATHER
Maud, tomorrow, you're going to get on that train to Hot Springs, you're going to take that examination, and you're going to pass it. You understand me?

MAUD
Yes, Father.

FATHER
OK. Now let's get to work.

PHARMACY EXAM CLASSROOM

MAUD sits in a classroom waiting for the examination to begin.

Three men, in their early to mid twenties, are off to the side in a discussion.

One of them makes his way over towards MAUD.

MAN
A woman taking the pharmacy exam? Never thought I'd see the day.

MAUD
Why? You think a woman can't hold her own against the men?

MAN
Maybe. Maybe not. What makes you think you're qualified enough to take this test, Miss?

MAUD
(narrowed eyes)
I fail to see how that is any of your business, sir.

Before the man can retort, the INSTRUCTOR, a man in his 40s, enters abruptly from the doorway.

INSTRUCTOR
Gentleman, take your seats. I don't want to waste time this afternoon.

The INSTRUCTOR glances over, taking in MAUD.

INSTRUCTOR
Ma'am?

MAUD
(agitated)
Yes?

INSTRUCTOR
Are you in the right place?

MAUD
This is the pharmacy exam, correct?

INSTRUCTOR
(drawn out)
Yes.

MAUD
(confident)
Then yes, I am in the right place.

INSTRUCTOR
What's your name?

MAUD
M.D. Pearce.

The INSTRUCTOR looks through at his roll.

INSTRUCTOR
You're M.D. Pearce?

MAUD
Obviously.

INSTRUCTOR
Are you sure?

MAUD
(agitated)
Sir, I know what my name is, and I have been helping my father Dr Albert Dunlap mix drugs for many years now. Can you spare me the interrogation and just administer the test?

INSTRUCTOR
(flustered)
Um... yes. I'll do that.
(hands out tests)
You have two hours to complete the test. Once time is up, you will put your writing utensils down and stop where you are.
(looks pointedly at Maud)
No one will work past the time limit.

MAUD and the others start taking the test.

DR DUNLAP'S OFFICE

MAUD comes into the office, carrying a stack of mail.

She stops when she reaches the third letter. She takes a deep breath.

FATHER comes into the office, removing his coat.

FATHER
That woman just doesn't know when to stop doing stupid things. She's going to kill herself if she isn't careful.

FATHER looks over at MAUD, who is still staring at the envelope.

FATHER
Is that the mail?
(MAUD nods mutely)
Good. I've been waiting for a letter.

FATHER takes in MAUD standing still, staring at the envelope.

FATHER
Maud? Are you okay? What is it?

MAUD
My results from the pharmacy exam.

FATHER
(excitedly)
Ooh... open it.

MAUD steadies herself and opens the envelope. She reads through it.

MAUD
(reading aloud)
Dear M.D. Pearce, we are pleased to inform you that you have passed the Arkansas State Pharmacology Exam and are licensed by the state of Arkansas to become a pharmacist.
(looks at FATHER)
I passed.

FATHER
Of course you did. Was that all it said?

MAUD searches through the letter quickly.

MAUD
No. I... I passed with the second highest score ever.

FATHER
(smirks)
And you were worried.

MAUD still looks like she's in a daze.

MAUD
I... I passed. I can open the pharmacy.

Realization dawns onto MAUD'S face.

MAUD
I have to find a building, and get capital to open the store, and...

FATHER
(interrupting)
Maud, calm down.

MAUD looks at him.

FATHER
We have time for all of that later. Right now, why don't you just enjoy passing the exam?

MAUD
You're right. I should just enjoy it.
(beat)
I'm so happy.

She throws her arms around FATHER, giving him a huge hug.

MAUD
Thank you so much for helping me with this.

FATHER
It had nothing to do with me. You earned this. I'm very proud of you.
(beat)
Now go tell your mother so she can make you a celebratory dinner. It is much deserved.

MAUD laughs and nods. She leaves the office. FATHER smiles with pride before turning back to his work.

NARRATOR
Maud opened her store, "M.D. Pearce, Druggist", not long after passing the exam. She ran the drugstore even after her marriage to Gilbert Dunlap and helping him run their newspaper, The Winslow American. Even after Gil's death in 1918, she continued running both. Around '27 or '28, she sold the store to her assistant Dick Page to focus on the paper.

THE END

2 comments: