Friday, May 18, 2012

Friday Fictioneers: Pot of Gold



Pot of Gold

Look! A rainbow!”

Steve stopped dribbling the ball to see where is his little brother was pointing. The rainbow stretched across the sky, curving down to settle in a thicket of trees at the back of the field.

Let's see if there's a pot of gold at the end of it,” his brother said excitedly.

Steve rolled his eyes, “Billy, there ain't gold at the end of a rainbow.” Billy really could be a gullible kid sometimes.

I'm looking anyway. And if there is, I ain't sharing it with you,” Billy hollered while sprinting across the field.

Steve dashed after him. “Not if I find it first,” he yelled. If anyone was going to find that gold, it was going to be him. He was the older brother, after all.

11 comments:

  1. damn older brothers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this a lot, Jake. No gimmicks, nothing supernatural, no twists or surprise ending, just a gentle slice of life. Nice job! And I agree with your Tweet about the game selection on MLB Network.

    Here's my story:
    http://michaelsfishbowl.wordpress.com/2012/05/18/and-the-angels-sing/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it! The younger brother uses the older brother's "older brother" vanity against him! Sounds like they both go on to have an adventure together after all!

    Here's mine -- (I bypassed the rainbow, but did keep to 100 words!) http://practicallyserious.com/2012/05/18/flash-fiction-the-pig/

    ReplyDelete
  4. LoL...thanks for the chuckle. So true to life. Hope they find that "pot of gold"...instead of "pot... and no gold" Here's mine:
    www.triplemoonstar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't that just brothers for you? Nice one, you captured the relationship nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooops: Mine's at: http://castelsarrasin.wordpress.com/2012/05/17/pursuit-friday-fictioneers-may-2012/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really lovely. The simplicity of this is what sells. It says everything about the setting, what the boys were up to and most importantly their relationship and in so few words without going over the top. Loved it, so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great dynamic of brothers caught in your little story. I could easily see that very scene played out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oops. Signed into my Google account under the real name, haha. That previous comment from 'Roxann' is mine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very true to life. Brother's are just like that. I know I had four of them. Here's mine: http://melodypearson.com/flash-fiction/may-18-2012-rainbows/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yup, I have an older brother and that's about how that conversation would have gone. I also enjoyed the kids' voices. Soooo spot on.

    Kathy
    http://notforallmarkets.wordpress.com/2012/05/18/after/#comment-210

    ReplyDelete