Friday, May 4, 2012

Flash Fiction: Preserving the Story

 
 

It was banged up. Badly. Faded, too. But it was original, and she just couldn't bring herself to tear it down at the moment. The wall held stories too precious to destroy.

A young couple dancing, celebrating their new wedding bliss. The first day home from the hospital. Her first steps. Celebrating straight A's on the report card. And Junior prom, a bundle of nerves, anxiety, and pure unadulterated joy. The day the acceptance letter came. The day she brought him home, and they knew she had found the one.

When her husband came in later, he found her carefully cutting a large swath of the wall paper. “What are you doing,” he asked.

She just smiled at him and turned back to her work, saying, “Preserving the stories, dear.”
_________________________________________________________

I forgot to add that I was actually really excited when I saw the photo prompt. My wife is addicted to housing rehab (her favorite "housing show" is Rehab Addict), so I was imagining her when I started writing. She loves old houses for the stories, and I can see her using the wall paper as a piece of art to base the room decor.

11 comments:

  1. The neat thing about your story is that it is writers like you that actually preserve the stories. Well done.

    Aloha,

    Doug

    http://ironwoodwind.wordpress.com/2012/05/04/the-nerve/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Doug. It was my first Flash Fiction, and I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see using it as a piece of art for a project, too. Your wife must have a good imagination and an eye for things worth salvaging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thanks for joining us! If you are on FB we have a new page there, which will become our home away from Fridays: http://facebook.com/FridayFictioneers.

      Delete
    2. That she does. And it isn't just salvage. She's got a spectacular eye for design. It's fun to watch her when she gets into a zone.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jake: Welcome to you and your wife. Beautiful, uplifting piece..with full details and lovely images. And a sweet ending to boot. Nice work. Here's mine:
    www.triplemoonstar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lora. I commented on yours over at your blog.

      Delete
  5. Hi Jake
    Welcome to Friday Fictioneers

    I love the line, stories to precious to destroy and the way you used universal moments that required very little explanation. Excellent work, even more so for a first effort!

    Wakefield
    http://www.wakefieldmahon.com/1/post/2012/05/bump-in-the-night-fridayfictioneers.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wakefield.

      I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      I'm definitely going to keep doing this. So much fun to write these little bursts of scenes.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed this one. I think the concept of taking a bit of wallpaper as a memento is a brilliant one. I can remember all the wallpapers we had as a child, but it would be great if I just had a little piece of each. Nice work, welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops:

    http://castelsarrasin.wordpress.com/2012/05/04/dysfunctional-friday-fictioneers-may-2012/

    ReplyDelete