Thursday, March 29, 2012

Petticoats

This is the second of my short plays about Maud Duncan. This is about the "Petticoat Government" of Winslow, AR who held office for two terms from 1925-1927.

Carl Webber is a fictional character. To understand some of the context, Maud wrote in favor of going to war with Imperial Germany during WWI. Carl Webber is a German name, but he fought for the US and the Allies when he was 18-19.


ROOM

A PHOTOGRAPHER moves around a room, putting the 10 women of "The Petticoat Government" where he wants them.

NARRATOR (VO)
The year was 1925. Suffrage had been awarded across the U.S. to women five years prior with the passage of the 19th amendment. Prohibition was in full swing, spearheaded by the Temperance Movement, whose ranks were filled with the same strong women. Women were beginning to garner more clout within society. However, men still dominated the political spectrum, from local to federal. Since the 1880s, only five women had been elected mayor of their townships, with one all female governments.

The PHOTOGRAPHER snaps a few pictures.

NARRATOR (VO)
But in the small resort town of Winslow, Arkansas nestled in the Boston Mountains, history was about to be made.

The PHOTOGRAPHER finishes one final shot. Packs his gear.

PHOTOGRAPHER
(to WEBBER)
I'll be in the car.

WEBBER nods in acknowledgment. Pulls out a notebook.

The 10 women still huddle around the small table.

MAUD
(to WEBBER)
Which paper did you say you were from?

WEBBER
Dallas Morning News.

VIRGINIA
What's your name?

WEBBER
Carl Webber.

VIRGINIA
German.

MAUD
Imperialist.

WEBBER
(casual)
Fought for the States.

MAUD
Likely story.

BEE
Leave the poor man alone.
(to WEBBER)
You barely look old enough to have fought.

WEBBER
I'm 26. Anyway, where would you ladies like to start? A little biographical information, perhaps?

The ladies glance at each other.

MAUD
I guess that will do. We can start with myself.

WEBBER
No need, Mrs Duncan. I believe the information I have on you seems complete. For this part at least.

MAUD
Oh really? Enlighten me with what you know.

WEBBER
Professionally or personally?

MAUD
Professionally will suffice.

WEBBER
(w/o looking at notebook)
School teacher at sixteen. Third woman to pass the Arkansas State Pharmacology Exam. Second highest score ever, I might add. Co editor of the award winning newspaper The Winslow American until your husband passed, leaving you as sole editor. Fifth female mayor elected and head of the second all female city government in the United States, first in Arkansas for both.
(MAUD is surprised)
How did I do?

VIRGINIA
Impressive, son.

WEBBER
Thank you.

VIRGINIA
Do me next!

WEBBER
Ah ... I don't really know anything about the rest of you.

VIRGINIA
Oh, so, only Maud gets special treatment?

WEBBER
I ... ah ... my editor ...

MAUD
Mother, be nice.

VIRGINIA
(smiling)
It is just too easy, dear.

MAUD
Mm hmm.

WEBBER
(to VIRGINIA)
So you're Mrs Duncan's mother?

VIRGINIA
I am the Mother of Winslow, Mr Webber.

MAUD
(whisper)
In her own mind.

VIRGINIA slaps MAUD across the arm.

VIRGINIA
Technically, I'm Maud's aunt. But my husband and I raised her since she was a little one.

WEBBER makes notes.


WEBBER
And what is your job here?

VIRGINIA
(whisper)
I'm the power behind the throne.

MAUD groans.


VIRGINIA
I also founded the girls' boarding school with my husband.

WEBBER takes notes, laughing.


WEBBER
(to BEE)
And you, Ms...

BEE
Cherveny. Mrs Bee Cherveny. I'm a businesswoman. I am on the Council.

WEBBER makes notes. Points to DAISY.

DAISY
Daisy Miller. I operate the Hillcrest Resort.

WEBBER
Really? That's where I'm staying. It's very nice.

DAISY
Thank you. I, too, am on the Council.

WEBBER points to AUDIE.

AUDIE
Audie Crider. I am the City Clerk and Recorder.

WEBBER makes notes; points to LYDA.

LYDA C.
Lyda Cole. On the Council.

WEBBER points to FLORENCE.

FLORENCE
Florence Marley. I am on the Council as well.

WEBBER points to ETTA; makes notes.

ETTA
Etta Black. On the Council, and I run the hardware store.

WEBBER
Really?

ETTA
Ever since my husband passed.

Webber points to MARTHA.

MARTHA
(flirting)
Miss Martha Winn. I work at the bank and I'm also the Treasurer. It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr Webber.

WEBBER
Likewise, Miss Winn.

MAUD
Careful, Mr Webber.

VIRGINIA
Maud, I'd be more worried for the boy than about him.

VIRGINIA nods over to STELLA, who is cutting eyes at MARTHA.

WEBBER
And you, Miss...

STELLA
Stella Winn. Forgive my cousin. She can be uncouth sometimes.

MARTHA cuts her eyes.

WEBBER
I'm sure it wasn't intentional.

He smirks and glances at MARTHA.

WEBBER
(to STELLA)
And what is your position, Miss Winn?

STELLA
I'm the Postmistress.

WEBBER
A refined position for a refined lady.

STELLA blushes; VIRGINIA chokes a laugh.

WEBBER
Now, let's get down to brass tacks. Why did you ladies decide to run for city government?

MAUD
The men said we couldn't do it. Even backed out of the election. Said we'd could run our little experiment for the year and then get back to reality afterward.

WEBBER
Safe to presume you plan to prove them wrong?

VIRGINIA
And then rub their faces in that fact.

WEBBER chuckles.

WEBBER
What is your plan for Winslow?

MAUD
Build a hairpin to ease access to the town.

VIRGINIA
Yes! Old George Turner was trying to drive his Model T up the hill yesterday. It was a futile effort.

LYDA C.
You mean he went "chugga lugga lug" up the hill and (whistles) back down?

MAUD
Twice. 

WEBBER
Twice?

VIRGINIA
Then he gave up and decided to walk up the hill.

DAISY
I'm sure that ended well.

MAUD
Well, let us just say he rolls like the ball he is shaped.

The women break out laughing.

WEBBER
(chuckling)
Yes, I do believe a hairpin needs to be constructed. What else?

MARTHA
We need to get rid of the jail.

WEBBER
The jail?

MARTHA
Criminal mischief is practically nonexistent here, Mr Webber. 
(suggestively)
It's good place to raise a family.

STELLA
(pointed)
It's also taking up unnecessary room.

WEBBER
Practical. I like it. Anything else?

VIRGINIA
We will deal with everything else as they develop.

WEBBER
I'm sure you will. My mother would've liked all of you. She was a strong woman as well.

MAUD
Thank you, Mr Webber. She raised a fine young man.

WEBBER nods in acknowledgment.

WEBBER
Well, ladies, it has been a wonderful time, but my photographer and I need to catch the train back to Dallas.

MARTHA
(disappointed)
So soon?

WEBBER
Oh, I wouldn't worry too much. I'm sure my editor will want a follow up in the future. I doubt it's the last you see of me.

MAUD
Mr Webber, have a safe trip back to Dallas. We look forward to reading your piece.

MAUD and WEBBER shake hands.

WEBBER
I look forward, too. Hopefully I can do you ladies justice.

WEBBER bids them a goodbye and leaves the room.

MAUD
Well, since we are all here, shall we have our first meeting?

MARTHA
We might as well.

MAUD
Alright then.

Conversation fades.

NARRATOR
The Petticoat Government presided over Winslow for two one year terms, winning reelection against an all male ticket. They built that hairpin road up the mountain, making it easier to get to Winslow. And they got rid of the jail, too. After their second term, and accomplishing their, they decided they had proven their point and returned to being private citizens, but their impact would echo throughout Winslow, and Arkansas, for years to come as women took a more prominent role in politics.

The End


Follow me on Twitter: @Jake_Collin
Subscribe to The Rantin' Arkansan on the home page. I promise "No Spam."

No comments:

Post a Comment