Friday, July 6, 2012

Friday Fictioneers: Last Cigarette

Amanda Gray "Outside Pecos"




Last Cigarette

I could feel the chipping stucco on my back, still hot from the pounding desert sun. So this was how it was all going to end, I thought. At least I was going out with a bang. Or six bangs, really.

I was warned that this was the likely outcome when I started doing business with Pancho. Too late for regrets now, I supposed. The crunch of soldier started moving away from me.

Don't I get a last request,” I queried.

Like what,” the leader asked, his accent worsening the sick thrill in his voice.

Cigarette,” I replied.

The leader hastily shoved the cigarette in my mouth, lighting it. I took a long, glorious drag, savoring the spicy tobacco taste.

I heard the cocking of six guns. I never heard the shots.

Follow me on Twitter: @Jake_Collin

16 comments:

  1. Hmmmm... Unfortunate ending for him. Too late for regrets is right.

    http://logo-ligi.com/2012/07/06/healing/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intense. Dark. I like it.

    www.rochelle-wisoff.blogspot.com/2012/07/encampment.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad. Tough. Noir. Just how I like 'em! Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, so good. I liked it. Playing with fire is a dangerous game.

    I'm here: http://mysocalleddutchlife.wordpress.com/2012/07/06/the-house-that-jack-built-ff-6712/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Should always be careful who you get into business with. Nicely done on setting the scene.
    Here is mine http://yaralwrites.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh. My.

    Well written.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, everybody. I'm really glad y'all liked it. It was fun to write, as it is every Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this is your first FF I've read, but it makes for a good introduction. Really nicely done. I can pretty much taste that cigarette, and it tastes good...and I don't even smoke.

    Brian (http://pinionpost.com/2012/07/06/kyawe/)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very good! I don't want to hear the shots either!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yikes! I bet that was the best cigarette he ever smoked. Wonder what he did to deserve that brutal ending? Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. good texture.... I can almost see him inhale deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic last line, and I hope that final draw on a cigarette would've comforted him some. Also, "...his accent worsening the sick thrill in his voice."

    Here's mine (The Missionary's Position) :

    http://chriswhitewrites.wordpress.com/2012/07/07/the-missionarys-position/

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's very effective and dramatic, but in a subtle way. I really like what you did here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good one -- very tactile and the spicy tobacco -- not a great ending for the character but a very good one for the story.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I already told you I liked this one very much but I figured it wouldn't hurt to leave a comment. Some good lines, a powerful ending. I want to read more!

    ReplyDelete